"Motivation is a fire from within. If someone else tries to light that fire
under you, chances are it will burn very briefly." –Stephen R. Covey
What
motivates you? For me, it depends on the
task. When it comes to reading, the book
itself is the incentive. There’s nothing
I like better than getting wrapped up in a story, and being unable to put it
down. I've been so
engaged in a book before that I've make dinner and eaten while reading them. (Seriously, true story!) Unfortunately, my students generally don’t
feel the same enthusiasm for literature as I do. They are all at least two grade levels below
where they should be, and most are three or four below. They have struggled with reading for their
entire lives, and as a result, they are unable to see how enjoyable it can be.
On
the first day of class, I always begin by asking my students who likes to read. As expected, I rarely see any hands go
up. I then ask them how they feel about
reading. Many respond that they dislike,
or even hate it, and that’s it’s very difficult and confusing for them. In addition, they claim that they can never find books that they want to read. After this discussion, I explain to students that
my goal for the year is to get them to find one book that they enjoy. Not five, not ten, not even two…one. I truly believe that all it takes is one book
to light that fire. Clearly, I’m not the
only one who believes this, as it was mentioned on the D2L discussion boards
multiple times in response to the Guthrie and Gambrell articles. I have experienced this with students in the
past, and it’s amazing the transformation it can spur. Students who avoided books like the plague at
the start of the year couldn't get enough by the end of the year. As a result, these students had dramatic
growth in their reading level; some even showed over two years improvement.
Because of this, these students were able to be included in a regular
education classroom the following year for reading class. Talk
about a great moment as a teacher! Those
students stand out in my mind for obvious reasons.
I will admit that I'm lucky when it comes to the program I teach. It is a research-based intensive reading program with students starting in whole group instruction, then rotating through three stations; independent reading, instructional software, and small group rotation, and finally, ending class with a whole group wrap-up. Before these rotations even start, there is a 'hype period,' where students learn about the program, as well as reading strategies, and get excited to participate in it. I find this initiation stage extremely important because in this program especially, students get out what they put in. Within the program, students are leveled appropriately, and have plenty of opportunities for choice in their daily activities. Choice, as stated by Gambrell in her article, "Creating Classroom Cultures that Foster Reading Motivation," is a key part of motivating students to read. "When children told us about both narrative and information books they 'most enjoyed' reading, over 80% responded that they had self-selected the books from the classroom libraries (Gambrell 1996)." They have choice on the instructional software, regarding the topics that they choose to focus on. They have choice in the reading corner on what books they want to read, with plenty of options of both fiction or non-fiction, graphic novels or chapter books, sci-fi or comedy, even audio-books. These choices put the onus on them. By allowing them to choose a book, there's no one they can blame if they dislike it. I have seen students discuss previously read books with other students, making recommendations and providing brief summaries, trying to convince them to read a book they enjoyed. It's a great thing to see!
However, even with all the opportunities in my classroom, I still have reluctant readers. I still have students that make little to no progress throughout the year. I still have students that didn't find a book to light their fire when June hits. This proves Stephen R. Covey's point from above: No one can force you to do something you don't want to do. If you're convinced that you're a poor reader and you'll never improve, you're right. That being said, if you're convinced that you will make gains and better yourself, you're also right! This is where I really struggle as a teacher. Even when we do all that we can; displaying our personal love for reading, giving a variety of literature, providing opportunities for students to discuss their experiences and explore their personal interests, explicitly modeling reading strategies...sometimes, it's just not enough. We can light the fire, but students have to keep it burning.
Gambrell, L. B. (1996). Creating classroom cultures that foster reading motivation. The Reading Teacher, 50(1), 14-25.
Gambrell, L. B. (1996). Creating classroom cultures that foster reading motivation. The Reading Teacher, 50(1), 14-25.
No comments:
Post a Comment